What Not to Eat Before Exercising (And What to Eat Instead)!
Eating certain foods beforehand can make or break your workout. We’re here to give you the lowdown on what you should avoid before exercising – and what you should add to your plate – to help you feel your best during your workouts!
What not to eat before exercising:
- High-protein foods: Protein-heavy foods take longer to digest and can jostle around in your stomach, leaving you feeling sluggish and weighed down during your workout.
- High-fat foods: Fatty food takes a long time to digest. While your body’s busy digesting, more blood flows to your GI tract to aid the process, so there’s less oxygen going to your muscles.
- High-fiber foods: Great for digestion, but they can often cause bloating, gas, and other stomach discomfort which is definitely something you want to avoid before burpees!
- Spicy foods: No one wants a side of acid reflux or heartburn during their workouts! Save the spicy food for your post-workout meal instead.
What to eat before exercising:
Our bodies need fast-absorbing fuel to power us through workouts. That’s why simple or complex carbs, combined with a little protein, are great pre-workout choices:
- Cereal with milk
- Cooked grains or pasta
- Granola bar
- Bread with a little peanut butter and banana
- Bagel with cream cheese
- Yogurt with fruit or granola
- Avocado toast
Book your next workout with us, then fuel-up – the right way!